Black Friday Just Got Some Farm Charm | + Bonus Fun Facts Enclosed!
So, how did the day after Thanksgiving get the name of “Black Friday” and where did it originate? Back in the day, once the Thanksgiving holiday was over, people immediately thought about the next big holiday… Christmas! Droves of anxious shoppers would line the city streets looking for bargains and that special gift for their loved one. A little known fact is that the origin of this phrase was from right here in Philadelphia! According to the New York Times, “Black Friday” is actually Philly slang. In 1961, Philadelphia police officers, frustrated by the congestion and smog caused by the shoppers, started referring to it as “Black Friday”. They tried to rebrand the holiday “Big Friday”, but it didn’t stick. Continue reading for details on our very own Black Friday Gift Card Sale + Bonus Fun Facts!
While many of us still treasure bargain hunting on “Black Friday”, one of the best deals in town happens to be right here at Normandy Farm Hotel. Do you have any foodies on your gift list? Gift cards have become the #1 holiday gift and a “Farm Charm Gift Card” from Normandy Farm Hotel can be redeemed in so many ways. To begin, you pay only $79.00 and receive a gift card valued at $100.00. Best of all you can redeem your gift for any and all food and beverage offered at the Farmer’s Daughter Restaurant including Sunday Brunch, lunch, dinner, and the Farmer’s Daughter Bar.
(This card may be presented for payment for hotel rooms, brunch, lunch, happy hour, dinner, and at the bar; however the card may not be used for any payment toward a contracted banquet event. Treat this card as cash; if it is lost or stolen, it will not be replaced. The card may not be redeemed for cash.)
With savings like that you should treat yourself as well!
Bonus | Black Friday Fun Facts
· The day before Christmas was considered the busiest shopping day of the year until 2001, when Black Friday pulled ahead.· Black Friday used to begin Friday morning, but Walmart broke the tradition in 2011 by opening Thanksgiving night. Since then, retailers all across the country have raced to open as early as possible and begin sales.
· These days, over 33 million Americans plan to go shopping as soon as their Thanksgiving feast is over.
· More than 30% of Americans shop on Black Friday. This is about 174 million people.
· The average Black Friday shopper spends $472
· Black Friday sales have gone down slightly since 2016, which is credited to the popularity rise in online shopping.
· This year, 46% of Black Friday shoppers are planning to spend more than they did last year.
· In 2017, online Black Friday sales hit an all-time high at $5.03 billion dollars.
· On average, shoppers will wait 2.5 hours in line for a deal.
· Last year, shoppers spent an estimated $59.1 billion.
· Thanksgiving is now called “Gray Thursday” by retailers, due to the fact that shopping now starts before Friday.
· Millennials are the biggest shoppers and the biggest spenders.
· 21% of shoppers say they’ve never missed a Black Friday.
Located just 25 minutes from Center City Philadelphia and situated in the heart of Blue Bell, Pa.,Normandy Farm Hotel and Conference Center is more than a meticulously restored American landmark—it's a fully wired, high-tech hospitality venue. Relax on our grand terrace, sip a cocktail in America's oldest silo, play a challenging game of golf on our championship course, plan an event with us or dine on our delectable farm-to-table cuisine. It all adds up to One Historic Experience.